40 people, 40 ideas #2: Fishing for the next big idea


Dan Dennison, Media Accounting Coordinator, was the second person at Preston Kelly to use Google Glass. Anyone who's met Dan knows he's borderline obsessed with fishing, so that was his obvious choice of activity. After chatting with him, we think we heard a few fish stories, but Dan also had plenty of fantastic ideas about how Google Glass could be used while fishing. Check it out: 

So Dan, what was your overall impression of using Glass while fishing?
Dan: It was definitely cool having a hands free experience. I need to use it every time I go out! The first time I went, it was pouring rain so I couldn't use Glass. So I just had to schedule another outing (my wife loved that excuse). I had a few ideas before going, but it helped to have Glass on to get some more ideas. The battery life sucked, but it lasts a lot longer if you leave Glass in sleep mode until you need it.


What were some of the ideas you had?
Dan: Well I think Glass could help with basic information about the lake. The DNR has downloadable topographic maps of just about any decent sized lake. It would be pretty easy to upload this information to Glass or provide it through an app. Also, lake conservation is a really big deal in our state. Glass could alert people about invasive species, catch limits, and other important DNR related material.

When you're actually fishing, it would be nice if Glass could give you depth and structure alerts, instead of always having to keep an eye on the depth finder. When I'm fishing alone and using my trolling motor, it'd be great if Glass could give me alerts regarding depth, forage and my trolling speed. That way I could just focus more on fishing (and beer).


Cool! It sounds like Glass could really be helpful with information and navigation. What else?
Dan: Well I'm a numbers guy, so I like data, which is really important in fishing - there are so many aspects that can affect fishing. It'd be cool if just by wearing Glass you could have a data diary that keeps track of all your fishing excursions. You could turn on "Fishing mode" and Glass would keep track of the time and date you were fishing, the weather conditions, your tackle used, fish caught, etc. That way, you could track fishing patterns that are based off of a multitude of different variables.

It'd be awesome if Glass could track objects. This would be helpful when trying to watch the movement of your line or lure. I mostly try to see my line for subtle movements when jigging, which is difficult during rough weather conditions or at night. You could say something like, "Glass, mark!" while looking at what you want to track. Glass would then display the object with a different  color or in infrared.

Those are great ideas. And now the question on everyone's mind... did you catch any fish?
Dan: Yes, but I was hoping to get a point of view video while reeling one in, but I forgot that the video defaults at 10 seconds. You have to tap the side of Glass to extend the video... which is difficult when you need both hands to reel the fish in. It'd be nice if Glass could fix that. But I did manage to record 2 point of view videos - one when I first got a fish on and the second when I'm bringing the fish up to the boat. It was a slow day to say the least, but a great time!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment