Cooking up some ideas with Google Glass

Melissa Tresidder, ACD, is a foodie who takes pride in trying out the latest restaurants and cooking delicious food. For her Google Glass project, she chose to use the technology to help cook Thanksgiving dinner. You should also know that she's Southern, so Thanksgiving for her consists of fried chicken instead of turkey. But we'll forgive her. As we chatted with Mel, we realized that we should've made leftovers a requirement of the project. 

Mel, tell us about your Google Glass experience.
I decided to use Google Glass while cooking Thanksgiving dinner, which was a little daunting. I made fried chicken, butternut squash soup, roasted green beans, and roasted potatoes. My plan was to find a recipe to make using Google or the Allthecooks app for Google Glass. I was excited about the hands free experience, since you always need as many hands as possible while cooking.

How did making a recipe using Glass go?
Pretty good, although when it comes to cooking, "hands free" works better in theory than in practice. When I'm cooking using an iPad, I always have to wake it up again and touch it in order to continue with my recipe. That's super frustrating when my hands are caked in flour or grease. Plus it takes up precious counter space. Unfortunately, Glass's recipe function is still not entirely voice activated, so I still had to touch the device while I was cooking. It would be great if Glass could fix that. A completely hands-free experience would be great.

Besides that, it went well. I Googled a few recipes and ended up blending a few together in order to get the desired result. I would have loved to have been able to save my final recipe somehow for future reference. I always get requests for a step-by-step tutorial for my fried chicken. This would be a great way to share my recipe with others.


Any ideas about how Glass could be useful in other ways?
I've worked with some well-known chefs on various campaigns, so I know how awesome it is to get advice from people who are masters of their craft. It'd be amazing if you could do a Google hangout with a master chef who could advise you on your cooking technique, or let you follow along as they cook something. Chefs or brands related to food could release custom cooking classes for Glass.

Since I was using Glass on Thanksgiving, I also had some holiday-specific ideas. It would be nice if you could add a schedule or checklist to Glass to make sure you're getting everything done on time. There are so many steps that need to happen while preparing a holiday celebration. Glass could send you alerts at different times to make sure you're doing everything on your checklist. Overall, I think Glass has the potential to be a helpful cooking tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment