The making of a Glass Explorer

It started with a tweet. My agency, Preston Kelly, heard about the Glass Explorer contest through the grapevine. Glass sounded cyborg-ish but intriguing. We had meetings, shot photos, brainstormed, and eventually submitted our entry. On a whim, I entered via Twitter. It was that spur-of-the-moment tweet that won the glasses. Below is the tweet I sent.


The most intriguing thing (for me) about Glass is that you can see the world from someone else’s perspective. It’s an experience that can’t be duplicated with a video camera. So I thought I’d let the world use my eyes to see Minneapolis. Plus, it would be a great excuse to drink some beer (but who needs excuses, right?)

A couple of months later, I received the direct message to purchase the Glass. (Gulp!) After a few agency conversations about helping fund an experiment of this caliber for a young gal in her first job out of school, I was getting flown to NYC to pick up a pair of Sky Google Glass! It’s amazing what an on-a-whim decision can lead to.
__

Since Preston Kelly decided to help me purchase Glass, there have been many conversations about how we can get the most  out of using the technology. We’re planning on starting with the mission behind my original tweet and going from there. So get ready for lots of beer drinking videos and “Beer Googles” jokes. After that, we’d like to put some thought into how it can be useful in everyday life, potential negative implications, and how it can bring value to our clients.

We want to make mistakes. We don’t want to be afraid to look stupid. We want to criticize it, experiment with it, and really think about how it may change our interaction with the world.

Get ready for some Eyeconic Ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment